Productivity Updates for AdWords
Google is making more changes to its AdWords PPC platform by introducing a new bundle of productivity tools including a grading system for overall account performance. The new tools only appear in the new interface which Google has been rolling out to clients for several months
Google AdWords Notes
Anyone who is familiar with Google Analytics will be familiar with their note system that allows you to annotate the timeline with information about changes that have been made. Whilst this is a key function for search engine optimisation purposes, it has been missing from AdWords – until now.
Notes in AdWords can be added directly to the user interface, giving similar functionality to the system already in place in Analytics. Whilst it is relatively easy to see changes in overall channel performance in the user interface, these extra notes are likely to save PPC campaign managers from having to keep additional notes outside of the system.
Opportunities Renamed to Recommendations
Google has also been working on its opportunities tab. This has now been relaunched as recommendations, with a focus on making it easier for the user to follow through on the suggestions. There have also been a number of new recommendation types added. These include:
- Add ad suggestions: Try new versions of your ads and let the best ones show.
- Add ads to each ad group: Get your ads running by adding ads to each ad group.
- Add audiences: Get more insightful reporting at no extra cost.
- Add keywords to each ad group: Get your ads running by adding keywords to each ad group.
- Add seller rating extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Add structured snippets extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Bid more efficiently with Maximise conversions: Get more conversions at a similar cost with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Change your device bid adjustments: Optimise your spend on specific devices and increase your return on investment.
- Create new, more relevant ads: Make your ads more relevant by including your keywords in your ad text.
- Fix your ad destinations: Your ads were disapproved because of destination issues. Fix your ad destinations to show your ads.
- Fix your ad text: Your ads were disapproved because of editorial issues. Fix your ad text to show your ads.
- Move ad group audiences to campaigns: Make your account easier to manage by moving your audiences from ad groups to campaigns.
- Pause poorly performing keywords: Reduce wasted spend on keywords that perform poorly.
- Remove redundant keywords: Make your account easier to manage by removing redundant keywords.
- Remove non-serving keywords: Make your account easier to manage by removing non-serving keywords.
- Set up audience sources: Access remarketing features to increase your ROI by showing more impactful and personalised ads.
- Set up conversion tracking: See which of your clicks turn into customers and access features such as automated bidding.
- Upload customer lists: Access remarketing features to increase your ROI by showing more impactful and personalised ads.
- Use standard delivery: Optimise your limited budget and get a better ROI.
Account Performance Score for AdWords.
Whilst we have had a quality score and ad rank as a guide to performance in auctions for a long time, this new account performance score is similar to the Account Health Score which was piloted in AdWords in 2016.
The score is designed to be a meaningful indicator of the best ways users can improve their accounts. It connects directly to the recommendations section.
The recommendations page will be rolling out to users of AdWords PPC in the near future, and the Account Performance Score will be available in accounts in the coming weeks.